Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Right to Work

Set out below is a range of requirements, information and other details you will need to start a new job in the UK:

You have the right to work once you have been granted the BN(O) visa.

More information on this can be found here:-British National (Overseas) visa: Overview - GOV.UK (

Employers must perform obligatory checks to verify the right to work for all potential employees. To prove that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom – you will need to obtain the following:

-              A share code – you can apply for a share code online

-              Your immigration documents, such as your current British National (Overseas) passport, E-visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

A National Insurance Number is unique to you and the government use this number to make sure that national insurance contributions and tax which you pay is recorded against your name.

National Insurance: introduction: Your National Insurance number - GOV.UK (

Once you have a Biometric Residence Permit or an E-visa, you can apply for a National Insurance Number on the UK Government website.

Apply for a National Insurance number - GOV.UK (

Before you start a new job, your employer will ask you for a Right to Work Share Code. This is a code which is individual to you. You give this to your new employer to prove that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom.

View a job applicant's right to work details - GOV.UK (

Once you have your Biometric Residence Permit Number or Card Number, you can get your Right to Work Share Code by filling in this form on the UK government website.

Prove your right to work to an employer - GOV.UK (

Once you have the code, you then need to give this to your employer.

A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check is an official document that provides information about a person's criminal convictions. These checks are essential for helping employers make informed decisions during the hiring process, particularly when considering candidates for roles involving vulnerable populations like children and vulnerable adults.

There are three levels and four types of DBS checks:

-          Basic : It is for any purpose, including employment.

-          Standard : It is for certain roles, such as a security guard

-          Enhanced: It is for people working with children or adults in health care or personal care industry

-          Enhanced with a barred list check: It contains the same information as an enhanced check, but will also check applicants against the children’s or adult’s barred list.

The DBS requirement varies based on different job roles. You should review the job requirements to determine the specific type of DBS check you need for your application.

You can apply a DBS basic check on your own. However, you can't apply for a Standard or Enhanced DBS check by yourself. It has to be requested by an organization or employer for you.

This is an online subscription service that enables your DBS Certificate to stay up to date and be taken with you from one role to another. It is usually a service for for Standard, Enhanced and Enhanced with Barred Lists DBS checks.

Please refer to more details on : DBS Updated Service